Spiralized zucchini noodles tossed with a homemade tomato sauce filled with mushrooms, onions, and fresh corn. This zucchini noodles with tomato sauce is the perfect meal for warm lazy summer days.
I think I just discovered my favorite summer meal.
I love pasta in all forms because it’s so versatile. There are so many ways to customize pasta to your liking. Starting with the sauce, you can have tomato sauce, pesto, olive oil, afredo, just to name a few. But during hot summer days, I want something light and refreshing. Zucchini noodles are perfect for that.
I know not everyone likes zucchini, but it’s so filling and healthy. Tossed with tomato sauce, there’s so much flavor you won’t even notice that it’s not pasta.
This dish is gluten free, vegan, and healthy. How can you go wrong?
First, use a spiralizer to cut the zucchini into noodle like strands. If you don’t have one, you can slice the zucchini into smaller pieces. Or use a peeler or mandolin to make the job easier. Set these noodles aside for now.
In a large skillet, add olive oil and allow it to heat for about a minute. Next, add the minced garlic. Cook the garlic until they become aromatic and golden brown in color. You will want to cook the garlic over low heat to prevent it from becoming burnt.
Once the garlic is aromatic, add the sliced onion and cook them until they’ve softened and have browned. I seriously love the smell of garlic and onions rising from my skillet.
Now, add the mushrooms and corn. Cook them until they’ve softened.
Pour in the diced tomatoes. Season with rosemary, oregano, salt, granulated sugar, and thyme. Adjust the flavor to taste if needed. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until all the ingredients are soft and flavorful.
Pour the sauce over the zucchini noodles.
Serve the zucchini noodles with tomato sauce warm or cold.
- 1 medium to large zucchini, spiralized
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to a medium sized skillet over low heat. Allow the olive oil to heat for a minute before adding minced garlic. Use a spatula to move the garlic as it cooks to prevent it from become burnt.
- Once the garlic turns golden brown and aromatic, add the sliced onions. Stir the onions with the spatula and cook them until they become soft and brown on the edges.
- Next, add the sliced mushrooms and corn kernels. Cook them for a few minutes before adding the diced tomatoes. Season the tomato sauce with rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt, and sugar. Adjust the flavor to your taste.
- Pour the sauce over the spiralized zucchini noodles.
- Serve the noodles warm or cold.