Red rice, wild rice, and quinoa topped with mushrooms, sweet peppers, mixed greens, figs, and peaches. These farmer’s market summer grain bowls are loaded with fresh ingredients and taste absolutely delicious.
Only a few days left of summer before it’s officially fall!
I’m going to miss all that summer produce especially the berries and peaches, but, I’m excited for fall!
Fall has to be my favorite season. I just love seeing the leaves change colors and the ground covered in golds, reds, and oranges. So pretty and picturesque!
But before we officially let summer slip away, I wanted to share with you this farmer’s market summer grain bowls.
I’ve been obsessed with bowl foods lately. There’s something about having all these fresh ingredients in the same bowl waiting to be mixed and eaten that just does it for me.
This particular bowl is loaded with mixed grains and vegetables then drizzled with honey balsamic vinaigrette. It’s sooo good and so filling! Plus, you can save the leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch too. Which means you can cook once and have multiple meals. Yay!!
And just like most of my recipes, you can easily substitute the ingredients listed here with ingredients you already have on hand or prefer instead.
What would you add to your grain bowls?
Use mixed grains. It can be leftovers from your previous meals. It could be rice, quinoa, farro. Or you can use a single grain. Whatever you prefer.
In a small skillet, add a little bit of olive oil . Allow the olive oil to heat for a minute before adding garlic. Cook the garlic until they start to turn golden and aromatic then add the mushrooms and sweet peppers. Cook the mushrooms and sweet peppers until they’ve softened. Sprinkle a pinch of salt for a little bit of flavor. I used oyster mushrooms and sweet peppers, but you can use white mushrooms and bell peppers.
That’s all the cooking you’ll do for this dish. Easy, right?
The rest of the ingredients are raw.
I cut radishes, peaches, figs, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, basil, and mint and topped the bowl with them. I added mixed greens and crumbled mozzarella cheese.
For the vinaigrette, mix together honey and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the bowl to taste.
Serve the farmer’s market summer grain bowls cold.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 sweet peppers or 2 small bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups mixed grains (quinoa, red rice, wild rice, farro, etc)
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 sprig basil, roughly torn
- 1 sprig mint, roughly torn
- 2 figs, quartered
- 1 medium yellow peach, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 2 radishes, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cook the grains according to directions, or use leftovers.
- In a small skillet, add a little bit of olive oil . Allow the olive oil to heat for a minute before adding garlic. Cook the garlic until they start to turn golden and aromatic then add the mushrooms and sweet peppers. Cook the mushrooms and sweet peppers until they’ve softened. Sprinkle a pinch of salt for a little bit of flavor. Divide between the bowls.
- Top the grain bowls with mixed greens, basil, mint, figs, peach, cucumber, radishes, and mozzerella.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, honey, and olive oil.
- Drizzle the honey balsamic vinaigrette over the grain bowls.
Come join me and other food bloggers at Fiesta Friday where you will find a ton of recipes.