Fresh broccoli cooked with minced garlic, oyster mushrooms and sliced chicken in oyster sauce. This broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken stir fry is an Asian inspired dish that is a great entrée for dinner with a side of rice.
One of the easiest ways to get dinner ready quickly is to stir fry your entrée. What I love most about stir frying is that you can pretty much add whatever it is that you like to your skillet, toss your ingredients in a sauce, and you’re all set. Sounds simple enough, right? It really is.
In this dish, I chose to use broccoli, oyster mushrooms, and sliced chicken. I love the freshness of broccoli, the hint of garlic, the chewy texture of oyster mushrooms, and sliced chicken cooked in a savory oyster sauce. But the combinations could be endless.
What will you add to your stir fry?
First, cut a large broccoli into small florets to make about 5 cups. Wash and allow the florets to dry.
Wash the oyster mushrooms and then dry them. Slice the mushrooms into thin pieces.
You don’t have to use oyster mushrooms if you can’t find them. I just love the texture of these mushrooms. They’re so chewy and sort of similar to abalone. In Asian restaurants, sometimes you can’t even tell the difference between these mushrooms and slices of abalone. And one of these mushrooms sliced can create a ton.
Slice a chicken breast until you have about ½ cup of chicken.
In a medium or large skillet, add about a tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil. Allow the oil to warm over low heat.
Add minced garlic to the skillet and cook the garlic until they turn golden brown on the edges. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
Next, add the broccoli and about ¼ cup of water to the pan to keep the skillet from being too dry. Cook the broccoli until they turn a vibrant green.
Stir in the sliced oyster mushrooms, sliced chicken, and the oyster sauce.
You can find gluten free oyster sauce too. =)
Cook for a few minutes until the chicken has turned white.
Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the food over to a dish.
Serve the entrée with rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large broccoli (5 cups chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 medium sized oyster mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sliced raw chicken
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- First, mince the garlic, cut the broccoli into small florets, slice the oyster mushrooms thinly, and cut the chicken into slices.
- Add olive oil or vegetable oil to a large sized skillet over low heat.
- Next, add the minced garlic into the pan. Cook the garlic until the edges turn a golden brown and the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add the broccoli florets to the skillet, and cook them for a minute or two until the florets start to turn a vibrant green. Then pour in the water to prevent the broccoli from burning.
- Add the oyster mushrooms, chicken, and oyster sauce. Stir with a spatula until the chicken has turned white and is thoroughly cooked. Stir in crushed red pepper for an optional spicy kick.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place the stir fry onto a plate.
- Serve the broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken stir fry with rice.