Toasted rice cereal lightly sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with coconut oil then tossed with roasted almonds and freeze dried strawberries. This roasted almond strawberry maple cereal is a delicious breakfast that’s both flavorful and easy to make.
Not all mistakes end up as a terrible mess.
This recipe was originally supposed to be snack bars, similar to Kind bars. Actually, that was my intention. I wanted to create Kind bars with my favorite ingredients so that I can eat them any time I want. Sometimes I think that’s my motivation – so that everything is easily accessible at home. Unfortunately, when I substituted maple syrup for honey to make this a vegan snack, the maple syrup wasn’t thick enough to hold the cereal together. If I added more maple syrup, I knew that the cereal would become too sweet. So as a snack bar, a total fail.
But! Instead of writing this off as a loss, I wanted to see if I could use what I made for something else. Cereal.
Which honestly is a poor excuse of a recipe. But hey, it’s my idea of a quick tasty breakfast before work so of course I’d share this recipe with you. =)
I used Rice Crispies (toasted rice cereal) for this, but you can use whatever cereal that is lightly sweetened. Like Chex or Cheerios.
Melt coconut oil and drizzle it over the cereal. Pour the maple syrup over the cereal, and then mix the cereal well so that the coconut oil and maple syrup coats most of the cereal.
Chop up your almonds and roast them so that the flavor intensifies. Add the chopped almonds and freeze dried strawberries to your cereal.
Toss them together until they’re evenly combined.
Serve the cereal with your favorite type of milk.
See? Easy peasy.
- 2 cups rice crispy cereal
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup almond, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- Your favorite milk
- Toss together rice crispy cereal with maple syrup and melted coconut oil until all the cereal is coated.
- Toast the almond so that it becomes more flavorful and then chop the almonds into small pieces.
- Mix together the cereal, chopped almonds, and freeze dried strawberries.
- Serve the cereal with your favorite milk.