Egg noodles stir fry with sautéed onions, bean sprouts, carrots, and soy sauce for a quick meal. Simple yet flavorful, this chow mein can easily be adapted with different ingredients to satisfy your tastebuds.
We are going back to the basics with this easy to make chow mein. So simple that it barely requires any ingredients.
You’re probably wondering why I’m making a dish that barely has any ingredient in it. It’s hardly a recipe. But the thing is, once you have your basic recipe down, you can always customize it to suit your tastebuds. If you like chicken, you can always add it in yourself. If you like mushrooms, or broccoli, you can always add those.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s so simple yet full of flavor. Soy sauce can do that so well.
Follow these simple steps and you’ll have another easy meal in no time.
First, loosen up the egg noodles by quickly running it through cold water. This helps separate the noodles so that they don’t stay in a clump. I used noodles that are often used in wonton noodle soup. You can find them at an Asian supermarket. Set the noodles aside for now.
In a medium sized skillet, add vegetable oil and allow it to heat over low heat for a minute.
Add the sliced onions and cook them until they’ve softened and appear translucent.
Once the onions have softened, add noodles to the skillet. Make sure to loosen up the noodles as they cook so that they don’t clump together.
As the noodles soften, add the bean sprouts and the grated carrots.
Toss the ingredients together until they are well combined.
Mix in the soy sauce.
Serve the noodles warm.
- 2 bundles of egg noodles (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup carrots, grated
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, more to taste
- Take the egg noodles and run them through cold water to loosen the noodles. Set the noodles aside for now.
- In a medium sized skillet, add vegetable oil over low heat and wait for the oil to warm up for about a minute.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook them until they become soft and appear translucent.
- Next, add the egg noodles and stir to loosen up the noodles so that they don’t clump together.
- Add the carrots and bean sprouts. Toss them with the noodles and the onions until well combined.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the noodles and toss to evenly incorporate the sauce.
- Serve the noodles warm.