Melted marshmallows mixed with rice crispies cereal then topped with a Nutella drizzle. This small batch of Rice Crispies Treats is the perfect little dessert.
I love desserts, but I prefer my desserts in small batches, no matter how good they are.
The thing is, the less you have, the more you appreciate it. If I had a huge cake I had to finish, by that last piece, I’m probably sick of it. Just like I prefer an ice cream cone to an ice cream sundae. There’s just way too much of everything in a sundae. Unless, of course, I get to share it with my sisters or my cousins. Then we can go as big as we want.
The Law of Diminishing Marginal Utilities. I swear, that’s the only term I remember from my high school AP Econ class, almost ten years ago. Probably because it applies to my food oriented life, even back then. Basically, when you first start out (eating or whatever), you’re at the peak of your enjoyment. Over time, the more you consume, the less you will enjoy it. Which is totally true with buffets and desserts.
These Rice Crispies Treats are soo delicious. With just 8 squares, I don’t have to worry about overeating, or what to do with a ton of leftovers. It’s just enough for one or two per person in my family. I love the ooey gooeyness of the melted marshmallows covering the rice crispies cereal. I don’t even like marshmallows. But it’s a whole different story when they’re melted. And then with a Nutella drizzle on top? Soo good.
These Rice Crispies Treats only need a few ingredients: cereal, marshmallow, butter, vanilla, and Nutella. Simple, right?
Line a 9x5inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
Place half a bag of marshmallow into a large microwave safe bowl with the butter. You want a large bowl because the marshmallows will expand once it’s heated. If the bowl is too small, the marshmallow will overflow.
Place the bowl in the microwave and heat the marshmallows for about 1 ½ minutes. The marshmallows will have melted. Use a spoon to mix the marshmallows until it appears sticky and similar to a cream. Add the vanilla extract, and mix until it becomes evenly incorporated.
Stir in the rice crispies cereal until the cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallow.
Transfer the cereal and marshmallow mixture over to the loaf pan. Use wax paper to press the rice crispy down.
Place the rice crispies in the refrigerator and allow it to chill for at least a half hour.
Once the rice crispies treats have become firm, remove the parchment paper from the loaf pan and slice the rice crispies treats into 8 squares.
Place Nutella into a small microwave safe bowl, and melt them in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
Use a spoon to drizzle the Nutella over the rice crispies treats.
Serve the rice crispies treats as a snack or dessert.
I’d to see your photos if you make these Rice Crispies Treats or any of my other recipes. Tag your photos with #cookingwithawallflower, and I’ll be sure to take a look at them!
- ½ of 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable spread
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rice crispies cereal
- 1 teaspoon Nutella
- Line a 9x5inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the mini marshmallows into a large microwave safe bowl with the butter. Melt the marshmallows by heating them in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir with a spoon to make sure that the marshmallows have all melted. Add vanilla extract, and use a spoon to mix until the vanilla is evenly incorporated.
- Stir in the rice crispies cereal until the cereal is completely coated with the melted marshmallow.
- Transfer the rice crispies mixture into the loaf pan. Use a piece of wax paper to press the cereal down so that it’s more packed.
- Refrigerate the rice crispies for about a half hour until they become firm.
- Remove the loaf pan from the refrigerator. Lift the parchment paper from the loaf pan, and slice the rice crispies treats into 8 squares.
- Place the Nutella into a small bowl and microwave it for 20 seconds. Use a spoon to drizzle the Nutella over the rice crispies treats.
- Makes 8 servings.