Poached eggs and roasted vegetables topped with salsa over smashed tater tots. Served with a side of sausage and sliced avocado, these poached eggs over smashed tater tots are the ultimate breakfast.
Oh my god. This has to be the ultimate breakfast, and it’s just in time for Father’s Day.
A couple weeks ago, Casper, a mattress company which creates body conforming memory foam mattresses, has been putting an emphasis on creating breakfast in bed recipes for Father’s Day. The theme is a manly breakfast in bed. I thought it would be a fun challenge to take on. When I think of “manly” breakfasts, I think of eggs, meat, and potatoes. Which are all included in this recipe.
Just picture smashed tater tots topped with roasted vegetables and poached eggs. Cut into the poached eggs and the yolk will ooze out. Sliced sausage and avocados on the side complete the hearty breakfast. You can also add bacon if you prefer that. How amazing does that sound? Of course, you can always take away the sausage for a meatless version.
What are you doing for Father’s Day?
First, make the tater tots. I had the frozen kind in my freezer and used that. Follow the directions on the package. Mine says to preheat to 450F and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
While the tater tots are baking, cut the onions and mushrooms. Place them on a lightly greased 9×9 inch baking pan with the grape or cherry tomatoes.
When the tater tots are about halfway done, remove the baking tray and turn them over so that they are browned on all sides. Place them back in the oven.
Place the baking pan with the vegetables into the oven on a separate rack. That way you can have both the tater tots and the vegetables done at the same time.
Boil water in a small pot. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Once the water begins to boil, gently drop the egg into the water. Crack the second egg into the now empty bowl. Drop a second egg into the water. Allow the eggs to boil for about 2-3 minutes before lowering the heat and allow them to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Remove the poached eggs from the pot using a slotted spoon. Place them gently on a paper towel to dry them.Slice the sausage and cook them in a pan until they’ve browned. I used Aidell’s chicken sausage since I don’t eat beef.
Once the tater tots are ready, place them on a plate and use a spatula to flatten them. You can adjust them so that the shape is round.
Top the tater tots with the roasted vegetables, then place the poached eggs on top. Spoon salsa over the eggs.
Place the sausage and sliced avocados on the side.
Garnish with finely chopped parsley if desired.
Serve the breakfast warm with coffee or drink of your choice.
While this recipe is specifically created for the dads in our lives, it can easily be doubled or more as needed.
Come join me and other food bloggers at Fiesta Friday.
- 2 cups tater tots, frozen
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 4-5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 sausage, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the tater tots in a single layer. Place the tater tots in the oven to bake for a total of 20-25 minutes or until the tater tots are browned on all sides.
- While the tater tots are baking, prepare the onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Place them in a single layer in a lightly greased 9x9 inch baking pan or a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and lightly season with salt.
- Once the tater tots are baked half way through, remove the tater tots from the oven and turn them over so that they will brown evenly on all sides. Return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Place the vegetables on a different rack to roast. That way both the tater tots and the vegetables will be done around the same time.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a small pot. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Once the water comes to a boil, gently drop the egg into the water. Crack the second egg into the now empty bowl. Gently drop the second egg into the water. Cook the eggs for about 2-3 minutes before lowering the heat and cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Scoop the poached eggs out of the water using a slotted spoon and place them onto a paper towel to drain.
- Cook the sliced sausage in a small skillet until they are browned.
- When the tater tots are done, place them on a plate and use a spatula to flatten them. Use the side of the spatula to shape the tater tots. Top the smashed tater tots with roasted vegetables, then the poached eggs, and salsa. Place the sliced sausage on the side with sliced avocado.
- Garnished with finely chopped parsley.
- Serve the poached eggs with roasted vegetables over smashed tater tots warm.