Crispy grilled cheese sandwich filled with sautéed mushrooms and onions and pepperjack cheese. This spicy mushroom melt is the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! What did you do to celebrate?
We ended up not planning a BBQ since so many of us were absent. It was very low key for my family.
Anyways… All I could think about all weekend though was a grilled cheese sandwich. I know. I’m weird.
I’ve been craving a grilled cheese sandwich lately. It’s one of those comfort foods that you’ll want every once in awhile, the one that brings back all of those childhood memories. But I don’t want just any grilled cheese sandwich. I want a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. In other words, a grown up version.
So of course, that means we’re going to have to take the classic grilled cheese sandwich to the next level by spicing it up.
In this particular grilled cheese sandwich, I added sautéed mushrooms and onions seasoned with a little bit of salt and crushed red peppers. I used pepperjack cheese to give this sandwich an extra spicy kick. Savory and spicy, this grilled cheese sandwich is so delicious. Each bite is filled with warm melted cheese, sautéed mushrooms, and slightly crunchy onions.
How can you resist?
First, add a little vegetable oil to a small pan over medium to low heat. Allow the oil to heat for a minute before adding the sliced onions. Use a spatula to stir the onions. Cook them until they’ve turned brown and have become soft. Now, add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they become soft. Season the mushrooms with crushed red peppers and salt.
Place pepperjack cheese on one side of bread. You can use whichever brand of pepperjack you like. I decided to use a local brand this time. I’ve been obsessed with using local ingredients, especially there’s so much fresh produce. Top with the sautéed mushrooms and onions. Then place the second slice of bread on top.
You can either heat the sandwich on the stove in a pan with a little bit of vegetable oil or butter. Or place the sandwich on a grill and heat them until the bread turns brown and the pepperjack cheese has melted.
Serve the sandwich warm.
- ½ large onion, sliced (about 1 cup onions, sliced)
- 4-5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 oz pepperjack cheese, sliced
- Add vegetable oil into a small pan over medium to low heat. Allow the vegetable oil to heat for about a minute. Add the sliced onions to the pan, and cook the onions until they’ve turned slightly brown and have softened.
- Next, add the mushrooms, and cook them until they’ve softened. Season the mushrooms and onions with crushed red peppers and salt. Drain the liquid.
- Place the mushroom onion mixture onto a slice of bread. Place pepperjack cheese over the mushrooms and then top with the second slice of bread.
- Place the sandwich onto the grill, and grill it until the bread turns slightly brown and crispy and the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve the sandwich warm.