Swirls of semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate topped with crushed peppermint candy canes. Delicious and easy to make, this peppermint bark is perfect as a holiday indulgence or as a last minute gift.
Happy Holidays! And if you celebrate, Merry Christmas! I hope you will have a wonderful time spending the holidays with family and friends!
I wanted to share one last recipe before I take Christmas off to spend time with family. I have plans that involve Peppermint Hot Chocolate, Christmas movies, and presents. Did you have any doubt that I would be spending Christmas watching Christmas movies?
One of my favorite holiday treats is Peppermint Bark. Layers of chocolate and white chocolate swirls with the wintry flavors of peppermint are completely irresistible to me. Every year I spend so much money on Ghirardelli’s Peppermint Bark or Lindt’s White Peppermint Truffles or if I feel like indulging, Godiva’s Peppermint Truffles. So I thought this year, I’d create my own Peppermint Bark using Baker’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar and Baker’s Premium White Chocolate Baking Bar and crushed peppermint candy canes.
Seriously, best decision ever. And it takes about 10 minutes at most to prep.
I love that I can create swirls with a fork or a toothpick to make the bark even more festive than regular store bought peppermint bark. So simple too!
First, line a 9×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Unwrap a bar of the semi sweet chocolate and break them into pieces. I placed these chocolate pieces into a small bowl and heated them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir with a spoon (though they won’t have melted yet), and then microwave them for another 30 seconds. Stir again with a spoon. This time the chocolate will have melted but not completely. Now, microwave in 10 seconds intervals until the chocolate has completely melted. I heated the chocolate for a total of 1 minute and 10 seconds.
If you don’t have a microwave, you can melt the chocolate in a pot on a stove too. But make sure that you have the heat turned on low and to stir often to prevent the chocolate from becoming burnt.
Once the chocolate has melted, pour the chocolate onto the parchment paper and use a spoon or a spatula to smooth the melted chocolate out into a thin layer.
Allow the chocolate to cool for a couple minutes while you melt the white chocolate.
Melt the white chocolate the same way you melted the semi sweet chocolate.
Pour the melted white chocolate over the semi sweet chocolate. Spread the white chocolate out as evenly as possible.
Use a toothpick or fork and twirl it around in the chocolate to create the swirls.
Place a candy cane into a ziplock bag and use a hammer to crush the candy canes. I wanted my candy cane bits to be as fine as possible. I find that bigger pieces of candy canes stick to my teeth. And as a dental hygienist, and even before I became a dental hygienist, I really don’t like that. So I made sure that the candy canes are crushed until they’re as fine as possible. They’re also going to very sticky after awhile so make sure to sprinkle them onto the melted chocolate as soon as possible.
Place the baking pan into the refrigerator and allow the chocolate to chill for about an hour.
Once the chocolate has hardened, break the chocolate into pieces.
I love how jagged these peppermint bark pieces are. They’re like parts of a jigsaw puzzle.
Serve them however you like or wrap them as gifts.
- 4 oz bar of semi sweet chocolate baking bar
- 4 oz bar of white chocolate baking bar
- 1 peppermint candy cane, crushed
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Break the semi sweet chocolate baking bar into pieces, and place them into a small bowl. Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, stir to mix the chocolate, microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir. Then, heat the chocolate in 10 second intervals until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour the semi sweet chocolate into the parchment paper lined baking pan. Use a spatula or a spoon to spread the chocolate into a thin layer.
- Break the white chocolate baking bar into pieces, and place them into a small bowl. Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, stir to mix the chocolate, microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir. Then, heat the chocolate in 10 second intervals until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour the white chocolate over the semi-sweet chocolate. Use a spoon or a spatula to spread the chocolate into a thin layer over the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Use a fork or a toothpick to create the swirls.
- Place a candy cane into a Ziploc bag. Use a hammer or a rolling pin to crush the candy cane into small bits.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy cane over the chocolate.
- Refrigerate the chocolate for about an hour. Once the chocolate has hardened, break the peppermint bark into pieces.
- Serve them however you like or wrap them up as last minute gifts.