Life of a Wallflower Part 7 – Playing the Tourist

It’s been one of those weeks… The kitchen pipe burst, water spilled everywhere, and it’s taking awhile for the landlord to fix the issue…

But anyway, how was everyone’s Mother’s Day weekend? This post comes a little late but I’ve been so busy these last few days I haven’t had time to write. On top of that, it’s been soo hot in San Francisco. I don’t want to cook or do anything that generates heat. All I want to do is eat cold watermelon and drink icy water.

I’ll leave you with photos of my weekend and parts of my #100HappyDays week. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen some of these photos already. =)

We have guests from Australia visiting. And since we live in San Francisco, we played tour guides to San Francisco’s famous landmarks. Although to be honest, I was playing the part of the tourist.

We visited the Golden Gate Bridge to take pictures. Living in SF, I rarely do touristy activities like visiting the bridge, or Fisherman’s Wharf, or Chinatown. I avoid these places because it’s too crowded.

Image

Image

Image

We went to Chinatown for lunch. One of the cheapest meals you’ll find is located in Chinatown.

The parents like to order rice plates like these: roasted duck and roasted pork.

Image

I prefer these: wonton noodle soup.

Image

I added chili peppers. Yes, I do eat that spicy on a regular basis. Actually, more so. Don’t worry. I limit how much I add to my recipes. This is just my personal preference.

Image

Mother’s Day Brunch. My dad’s cooking.

Image

We went out for Mother’s Day dinner.

Image

It’s been so hot. I like to cool down with iced black tea.

Image

That’s really it for the last few days.

This upcoming weekend, I’m headed up to Davis for a college friend’s wedding. I haven’t been back since I graduated from UC Davis in 2009. I’ll share some photos when I get back. Right now, I’m debating which dress to wear. It’s going to be super hot up there and I wanted something light in color. =)

Image

What did you do for Mother’s Day? And what little things have made you happy lately?

Until next time. =)

~ Andrea

42 comments

1. booksoutsidethebox says:

On Mother’s Day I went house hunting with my mother-in-law, which in the Bay Area, as you probably know as a San Franciscan, can be a series of disappointment, shock, and horror! :/

2. snaps22 says:

I love San Francisco – I have visited 4 times from the UK as I have a friend who lives 1.5 hours north of the city. I particularly like the clam chowder served in those huge round bread loaves served down by the wharf. I’m enjoying looking at your recipes by the way, although I haven’t tried any of them yet.

3. Joanna says:

I had a good Mother’s Day, would have been better if I hadn’t gotten ‘glutened’ and gotten sick! Guess I have a lot to learn still! Great photos!! I like the dress on the left!! ;) Have fun!!

4. iamclarehanlon says:

Thanks for the insight into SF – I’m visiting the west coast of the states in August; SF to LA before flying over to New York, any tips from a local in SF would be really great!

5. sweetkimplicity says:

Ah hope your place is okay. I’ve had the sprinkler system in my apartment burst once and we were moved to a hotel for two weeks. Not so fun. Spending time with fruebd and family lately has made me happy lately :)

I think you should wear the dress on the left!

6. papict says:

Sorry about the burst pipe. What a pain. It seems like you had a lovely time, despite that, seeing the sights and eating delicious food. It’s always fun to get out and explore your own environs as if you are a tourist. We have been trying to do more of that as a family since moving here to America. We actually spent Mother’s Day in New Hope which was thronging with tourists but it was a nice buzz all the same. When I lived in Edinburgh, I always avoided certain areas during the Festival as the tourists were just too much annoyance.

7. TheDarkHorse says:

I used to live in LA and I swear to you the cafe I used to get my ice tea from was served in that same greenware plastic cup! Nothing beats ice tea on a hot California day!

8. Yolande says:

Envious that you have a Chinatown there! The roast duck looks amazing! Sometimes it’s quite an eye-opener doing the touristy things in the city we live in, isn’t it?

Let's chat!